The app provides you with real-time data such as the location of your driver, your current location, and final cost of your trip. You can also rate your experience and contact the company for any issues.
Uber is most famous for aggressively usurping the role of taxis by providing a better user experience for a lower cost overall at multiple price points, from the "everyday person" UberX to the luxury private hired car UberBLACK.
I personally use Uber quite a bit when I travel, since I find that it's a much better ride than what you can find with a taxi. Pricewise, it can be cheaper than, as cheap as, or just a little more expensive than a taxi (and the small premium is always worth it over a traditional taxi).
You can find promotional codes for varying discount amounts all over the Internet, but the vast majority is for new accounts only (one such code is "ubermatic" which currently gives you up to $20 off your first ride when you sign up and also gives me Uber credit, for which I would appreciate).
I just found a code that will give up to $25 for your next ride for current account holders, and is stackable with the signup bonus, amounting to potentially $45 in free rides for new users.
Here's how to maximize your credit:
- Sign up for Uber by clicking here, or by downloading the app.
- If necessary, enter "ubermatic" as your promotion code (found in the app in the Menu > Promotions) BEFORE you request your first ride.
- You will have a $20 discount off your first ride stored in your account (or 100,000 VND, for accounts in Vietnam).
- Go to the menu in your app and tap on "Promotions"
- Enter "roamlikehome" as the code and tap "Apply"
- A $25 discount off your next ride will be stored in your account
UPDATE-2 (2/20 @ 12:26pm): The code "roamlikehome" is now fixed and apparently meant to be only for use in Canada for Rogers customers, good only with new Uber accounts, and expires 3/31/2015.
Note that the credits will be applied on subsequent accounts, and you won't get to keep the residual amounts (e.g., if your first ride is only $18, it will be free to you, but you won't get to keep the leftover $2 to use next time).
- "ubermatic" will give both of us ride credit. You aren't required to use the code, but I would appreciate it if you do. I am otherwise not associated with Uber in any other way.
- "roamlikehome" is a freebie for all of us, and does not give me credit.
- I can only confirm that "roamlikehome" works in the United States in USD as of the posting of this entry. I cannot confirm how long it will last and if it will work outside the US.
- Use at your own risk, and your mileage may vary!
Let me know if you were successful by commenting below!